(Adapted from The Shanty, Wadsworth, IL.)
Woowzers was this a hit! My Uncle John saw something he liked on TV but we couldn’t find the recipe so James and I watched a video and figured out how to do it for a special Thanksgiving appetizer. Also, check out the Thanksgiving post…we’ve got some pictures up now too!
What you’ll need for the sauce:
3 tbsp. Sweet cream butter, 4 cloves garlic, ¼ cup minced onion, Juice of 1 lemon squeezed, 3 cups heavy whipping cream, 1 cup whole milk, 2 tbsp. whole grain mustard, ½ cup tarragon
What you’ll need for the shrimp:
2 tbsp. butter, 2 lbs (44 -48) tail off, peeled shrimp, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. pepper, 2 cloves of minced garlic, ¼ cup Jack Daniels Whiskey
French bread and Olive oil
- Heat butter in a medium sauce pan and cook onion until soft and translucent. Add garlic and lemon juice.
- When garlic is just soft add heavy cream, mustard and tarragon.
- Let sauce cook on med-low heat for 30 minutes to reduce by half, stirring occasionally.
- In a large skillet heat the butter and add shrimp. Toss with salt, pepper and garlic.
- Cook about 80% through about 1 – 2 minutes (shrimp will continue to cook in sauce).
- While shrimp are cooking, cut French bread into ½ inch rounds and drizzle with olive oil. Toast in an oven or broiler until crisp.
- Add the whiskey to the shrimp and flambé to burn it off. Add sauce to cover shrimp in pan and reduce heat to low.
Plate the bread toasts and top with 1 shrimp each. Drizzle sauce generously over shrimp and bread.