Music: Steely Dan – Do It Again
This is a traditional New Year’s Eve dinner in my family’s house. Since I don’t live there anymore, we went to CT for a special post NYE dinner last weekend. This is so delicious and not too difficult to make. The only problem is making sure you know your oven. We can’t ever seem to bake these babies correctly on the first shot, they always end up back in the oven for a few minutes.
This recipe comes from the Woman’s Day Cookbook series. I only remember my mother using this recipe from the book but, after looking through it this past weekend, I noticed her very unique and delicate handwriting tagged most of the pages. The cookbook is so retro and has great 70s style typefaces. I look forward to this meal all year and, in fact, could eat the stuffing without the lobster. This recipe is for 4 people.
What you’ll need:4 – 1 ½ to 2 lbs. lobsters 1 stick of butter 8 tbsp. flour 6 tbsp. of parsley 3 tbsp. lemon juice 4 tbsp. of mustard 4 tsp. of horseradish 3 tsp. salt 4 cups of milk 10 slices of white bread 8 oz. of fresh crab meat ½ lbs. of scallops 1 tbsp. olive oil ½ lbs. of shrimp 1 bay leaf 10 peppercorns salt 1 tbsp. of butter breadcrumbs grated Gruyere cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Split lobster down the center and clean (ek!! This is so hard to do…Every time my father does it he talks about what bad karma it is…but it just tastes so good!).
- Place cleaned lobsters on baking trays and dry insides with paper towel.
- Separate crab meat and put aside in a bowl.
- Clean and de-vein shrimp.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, boil 4 cups of water, bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Add shrimp and cook until pink.
- Set shrimp aside and dry on paper towel.
- In smaller saucepan over medium heat, cook scallops in about 1 tbsp. of olive oil for about 4 minutes.
- Set aside in bowl with crab meat.
- Once shrimp is cooled, chop into small pieces and add to crab meat and scallops.
- Cut 10 slices of white bread into small bread cubes.
- Melt butter in medium sized saucepan.
- Stir in flour, parsley, lemon juice, mustard, horseradish and salt.
- Add milk gradually and stir constantly until thick.
- Add bread cubes and mix until warm.
- Add crab, scallops and shrimp.
- Pack into empty lobster cavity.
- In a small saucepan melt 1 tbsp. of butter.
- Saute dry breadcrumbs in butter until well combined.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over stuffing in lobster.
- Garnish with grated Gruyere and some parsley.
- Bake for 30 minutes until top is dark golden brown.
We made this with some crispy rosemary potatoes on the side. What you’ll need:Rosemary Salt & pepper Olive oil 1 lbs of white potatoes
- Wash potatoes.
- Cut potatoes into thin slices.
- In a casserole dish, drizzle olive oil.
- Place potatoes in layers and sprinkle with olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Do this until potatoes are all in casserole dish.
- Put in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Flip potatoes and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Potatoes will be brown and golden when completed.