Music: Winter Winds – Mumford & Sons
As part of our Valentine’s Day celebration, I made these sweet little cakes for my parents and James. Because I forgot to take a final picture of them I had to use the one from Martha Stewart. They definitely came out looking SOMETHING like this picture (parentals…hush!).
What you’ll need for the cakes:2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for ramekins 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar, plus more for ramekins and serving 2 ounces semisweet dark chocolate, broken into pieces 1 large egg 1 large egg yolk 1 teaspoon of instant espresso powder 1 teaspoon of vanilla
Pinch salt 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter two 6-ounce ramekins, then dust with sugar.
- Place butter and chocolate over a double boiler and heat until melted and combined. Let cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, egg yolk, sugar, espresso powder, vanilla and salt.
- Add chocolate mixture; whisk to combine.
- Add flour, and whisk just until combined (do not overmix).
- Pour batter into prepared ramekins.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted 1/2 inch from edge of ramekins comes out clean, and a toothpick inserted in center comes out wet, 10 to 12 minutes (do not overbake).
- Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Run a knife around inside of ramekins to loosen.
- Invert cakes onto serving plates.
- Dust with sugar cut little heart shapes (or whatever shape you like) on top and serve.