Music: Love Will Tear Us Apart – Broken Social Scene
Maybe it’s the promise of Spring that’s got me thinking about lemons. My mom made lovely lemon squares growing up and I wanted to replicate them for our post lobster bisque dinner (made from leftover lobsters from Southampton!). I got the recipe from the trusty Tartine cookbook.
What you’ll need for the crust:1/2 cup of confectioners sugar 1 1/2 cups of flour 3/4 cup of room temperature butter
What you’ll need for the custard:1/2 cup of flour 2 1/4 cups of sugar 1 cup and 2 tbsp. of fresh squeezed lemon juice 6 eggs 1 egg yolk pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Sift confectioners sugar and flour in stand mixer and mix together.
- Add butter and mix on low speed for 5 minutes until dough forms.
- Press dough evenly into bottom of pan and also about 1/2 inch up the sides of the pan. Dough will be about 1/4 inch thick.
- Fit parchment paper over dough and cover with baking beads.
- Bake until brown for 30 – 35 minutes.
- While crust is baking, sift flour into mixing bowl.
- Add sugar and whisk to blend with flour.
- Add lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Stir to dissolve sugar in lemon juice.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs and yolk with a pinch of salt.
- Add lemon juice mixture to eggs and whisk together.
- When crust is baked, pour filling into hot crust.
- Reduce oven to 300 degrees.
- Bake for 35 minutes until center is not wobbly.
- Fully cool on wire rack.
- Cover and chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, sift confectioners sugar over top and cut into 12 squares.