Music: In Spite of Me – Morphine
Hello there, friends. We’ve returned from our Spring hiatus. It was a well needed break to plan some good meals for the coming season. And guess what?!! We’ve got our new Spring Sunday Dinner menu up right now…so check it out and RSVP….spaces are filling up!
I was so tempted by the cover of Bon Appetite this month that I bought it while walking past a magazine stand and then remembered, we have a subscription. Have you seen it? There is something just so alluring about pasta with vegetables. It’s likely the time of year…but throw on some bacon and you really can’t loose.
What you’ll need: (If you have the magazine, you don’t need this, but we changed a few things so maybe you’ll like to look).box of fettuccine 6 oz of bacon chopped into lardons dash of cinnamon
1 lb of asparagus cut into 1 inch pieces 2 cups of frozen green peas 1 small onion chopped 3 cloves of crushed garlic 1/2 cup of grated Pecorino Romano 8 oz. of heavy whipping cream 1/8 tsp. of freshly grated nutmeg
3 tbsp. of olive oil 3 tbsp. of lemon juice 1 tbsp. of lemon zest 1/4 cup of chopped parsley 1/4 cup of sliced basil 1/2 cup of pasta water, reserved after draining
- I started by boiling the pasta water.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until brown.
- After 4/5 minutes of cooking, add a dash of cinnamon.
- Remove bacon from fat and let drain on a paper towel.
- Add asparagus to skillet and saute for 3 minutes in bacon fat.
- Add onions and garlic and saute for 3 more minutes.
- Add peas and saute for 3 more minutes.
- Turn off heat.
- Drain pasta and reserve some water.
- Add Pecorino, cream, olive oil, nutmeg, lemon juice, lemon peel, parsley and basil and stir.
- Add pasta and toss with some of the pasta water (if needed).
- Add salt and pepper, if desired.
- At the last minute, sprinkle bacon over top and serve!