Music: Big Wave – Jenny and Johnny
You know what I did this week? I catered my first movie! It was lots of work in our tiny kitchen and I felt like a train conductor on the cooking line (that was terrible) but I think I liked it! I didn’t take lots of pictures because, as I mentioned, I was on a tight schedule. It was pretty satisfying knowing that 10 people somewhere in Queens were eating Plated food…and hopefully enjoying it. Did I mention they were all vegetarians? Have you seen my posting on Duck Confit where we actually cook meat in duck fat? Needless to say, vegetarian cooking is a challenge. I made a lot of standards but a few new things…here was one:
2 pounds mushrooms, sliced (I used a combo of portabello, button and shitake)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour 1/2 cup brandy 2 tsp. of thyme
1 cup nonfat sour cream 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg 12 ounces egg noodles
- Melt butter in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high-heat.
- Add onion and shallot and sauté for 10 minutes until soft.
- Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds.
- Wash the mushrooms with water. I know you aren’t really supposed to do this but the liquid that cooks off will help with this recipe.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until tender and most liquid in pot evaporates, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add flour and stir 1 minute.
- Add brandy and cook until mixture thickens, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. You’ll smell when the alcohol cooks off.
- Add thyme
- Mix in sour cream, then nutmeg. Season mushroom mixture to taste with salt and pepper. Add egg noodles to pot; toss to blend well and serve.
If you want to know more about the movie, visit Lambsgrove Productions and see their upcoming projects page. There you can find a link for their trailer on Kickstarter.
Also, I know we’ve been posting slowly lately but as the holiday season nears I know we’ll be entertaining more and more so look out for new recipes soon!